Monday, December 04, 2006

Too Old For Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Well apparently I am getting old. I went to the doctor last Friday because my toe has been hurting pretty bad at class this week and it turns out I have Hallux Limitus (Def. A bony proliferation and articular degeneration of the first METATARSOPHALANGEAL JOINT that is characterized by pain and a progressive decrease in the dorsiflexion range of motion.) Basically as I continue doing Jiu Jitsu I am wearing down the joint which will continue until my toe no longer moves without extreme pain because the bones will be rubbing together. So that was good news. I can't believe I am only 26 and I have joints failing already. The good news is I am glad to be back at class on a regular basis again. Since I cant really do much except not use my toe to slow down the degeneration im just going to keep going and not worry about it until I need the surgery which will hopefully be later instead of sooner I guess.

7 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had similar toe injuries. Consider wearing wrestling shoes, iy has helped. Anything you can do, even taping the toe from catching oon things or dragging unnecasarily on the mats, will help prevent the pain.

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm 32 and walk out of class with any one of 4 different injuries bugging me. Funnily enough last week it was my big toe. And my ribs. The pain in my shoulders seems to have subsided since I started using glucosamine, but its hard to know if thats the effect of the suplement, placebo or conditioning. Or maybe a combination.

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey,

Do you guys find that you always stub your big toe when it gets caught on the mats?

Like it bends the wrong way, and hurts?

Kinda swells and loses flexibility?

Is taht what you're talking about?

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Jits said...

I am probably going to get some wrestling shoes if they are allowed in the gym. I have a carbon fiber insert that I am supposed to wear in my shoes at all times now to keep my toe from moving and that is supposed to delay needing surgery.If I can wear wrestling shoes I will use the insert but if I can't wear I guess I will just go without until the pain becomes to great.

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My toe problem went away once I started wearing socks on the mat; the elasticty dress socks seem to be better than sports socks.

I'm going on 4 weeks without any new injuries. New personal record. I'll probably slip on a banana peel & throw out my back for bragging.

 
At 1:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"can't believe I am only 26 and I have joints failing already."

Heh - in that case, might make you feel better to know that there is a guy in my class who started at the age of 86. You're never too old for BJJ. ;)

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am 13 years old am I 2 old to start Jiu Jitsu

 

Post a Comment

<< Home