Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Technique Class

Well class went well last night even though I am still struggling with our 45 minutes of cardio. The bear crawls are the worst as we have to do about 10 laps around the edges of the mats and our gym is pretty big. Apparently the cardio used to be much more intense in the past so I guess I can't complain too much. The problem is it never gets any easier, as I get in better shape I am able to complete more of the cardio without having to stop. At least I am losing some weight and getting fit. Last night we worked on techniques from the butterfly guard which is new to me. I have seen it used but I have never used it in class before as it seems like it would make it easy for your opponent to pass your guard. I definitely think it is an advanced guard as I can't even keep anyone in my closed guard for very long. We worked on guitine chokes and sweeps from the butterfly guard which were very effective but very time sensitive. The slightest mistiming made the moves very difficult to execute. Rodrigo made a good point last night by saying, "most jiu jitsu moves look very easy from the outside but are extremely difficult to execute properly." Right now I try to muscle through the moves instead of using good technique which would make the moves very easy to execute. Unfortunately it is much easier said than done as there are so many small details that must be executed perfectly as I have said many times before in other posts. The road to success with Brazilian jiu jitsu is going to be much longer than I initially believed, I hope I can stick to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home