Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Hughes vs. Gracie

Well let me start by saying I didn't know who Royce Gracie was when I started BJJ so I didn't know too much about him until recently. The way everyone in class talked him up led me to believe he was invincible so I was amazed at how easily Hughes beat him. This led me to go back and watch his old fights on Google video to see what all the hype was about. The old fights made Royce look like a completely different fighter than the one I saw this past Saturday night. I would say it was Royces age but I think it was just Hughes dominating him so well that it made him look horrible, the same way Royce made fighters of the past look so sloppy. It just shows that the sport has progressed, the fighters of today know what works so when they get in the ring its about athlete vs. athlete not style vs. style. It was sad to see the pioneer of the sport in the U.S. beaten but no one can take away from the fact that the sport owes its existence in the U.S. to Royce Gracie and his early domination of opponents far larger then himself. Several people in class seemed discouraged by the fact he lost but I think if Matt Hughes didn't know BJJ Royce would have beat him. BJJ is a powerful tool but it is just one of many tools needed in an MMA match today.
WATCH THE FIGHT AND DECIDE FOR YOURSELF

Free video hosting, video codes at

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home